- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 lbs. sweet onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup merlot, cabernet sauvignon or zinfandel wine
- ½ tsp. salt
How to Make Onion Caviar
- 1In a large skillet melt the butter with the olive oil; when hot, add the onions. Stirring frequently, sauté onions on medium-high heat until they begin to brown and caramelize. Sauté in two batches if necessary. When ready, set aside.
- 2In a nonreactive pot add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium before adding the onions. Continue to cook until mixture thickens.
- 3To serve, pour over a block of cream cheese and spread on crostini.