Goat Cheese Quiche, Caramelized Onions and Thyme
One of my favorite spots is a French restaurant called Balthazar. Located between Broadway and Crosby in Soho, it is a perfect excuse to spend a full day walking around and admiring the narrow streets that neighborhood.
I always order the same thing the warm goat cheese and caramelized onion tart.
This Goat Cheese Quiche with Caramelized Onions and Thyme quiche is my version of Balthazar’s tart.
19-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
1 Tbspolive oil
2 mediumonions, sliced thinly into half moon slices
1/2 cheavy cream
1/2 cwhole milk
2 largeeggs and 2 egg yolks
1/4 tspblack pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbspfresh thyme, chopped
4 ozfresh goat cheese, crumbled
How to Make Goat Cheese Quiche, Caramelized Onions and Thyme
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Take pie shell out of the freezer.
- Place two layers of aluminum foil over the dough and fill it with pie weights or 2 cups of dry beans.
- Place pie shell on a sheet pan and transfer it into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie weights and the aluminum foil, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and set it aside. Do not turn the oven off.
- While the crust is baking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, in medium heat.
- Add onions, and stirring often, cook for 20-25 minutes or until they turn into golden brown. Set aside.
- Mix together the heavy cream, milk, eggs, egg yolks, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Scatter the crumbled goat cheese pieces, thyme, and caramelized onions over the piecrust.
- Pour the milk mixture over it.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When you first take it out of the oven it may look like the middle part of the quiche is not fully cooked.
- This is normal. It will continue to cook as it cools on the kitchen counter.
- Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes and serve it warm.