Crock Pot Black-eyed Peas & Ham
2 pkg1 lb bags of dried black-eyed peas
2 mediumchopped onion
2 box32 oz boxes of chicken broth
1 can(s)rotel -28oz original or flavor of your preference, i use rotel with habeneros!
1ham bone with some meat still on it.
2 cbite sized chunks of ham
1 Tbspgarlic powder
How to Make Crock Pot Black-eyed Peas & Ham
- Rinse peas, drain and place in crock pot. Pour in chicken broth and add water to bring liquid just to the top of the peas. Bury the ham bone down into the peas. (If you don't have a bone I use chunks of ham and it works just as well)
- Add the chopped onion, bay leaves, can of Rotel tomoatoes, garlic powder.
- Cover and set crock pot to low for 8 hrs. At that time, remove bone, remove any meat from the bone, cut into bite sized pieces and add more from any left over ham that was cut off the bone before cooking. Recover and continue to cook for 2 more hours. Remove bay leaves, serve with corn bread & Enjoy!
- ps - if you do not use a ham bone and have only chunks of ham then just cook on low for 10 hrs and increase amount of ham to about 3 cups.
- I use a 6 qt crockpot and it is full when all ingredients are added. If you are having trouble with room in the pot you can adjust the liquid to less.