Pretzel Dogs and Mall Pretzels
1 pkg(0.25 ounce) active dry yeast
2 Tbspbrown sugar
1 1/8 tspsalt
1 1/2 cwarm water (110 degrees f)
3 call-purpose flour
1 cbread flour
2 cwarm water (110 degrees f)
2 Tbspbaking soda
2 Tbspbutter, melted
2 Tbspcoarse salt
How to Make Pretzel Dogs and Mall Pretzels
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.
- Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan. Line 6 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place onto parchment covered baking sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.
***When forming the ropes, roll each one to about half the length you want, then set it aside while you roll the rest. By the time you get back to the first rope, it will have rested enough to roll further.
A 3-foot long rope will make a pretzel approximately 8-inches in diameter. Plan on using one baking sheet for every two pretzels. ***