It is a great side for any type of breakfast and is absolutely delicious with pork or chicken. Serve it hot or cold--either way it is wonderful!
As a note, since my original post of the recipe I began using fresh cranberries vs canned whole berry cranberries. To cut calories, I only use 1/2 cup sugar (vs 1 c. sugar as the bag instructs). I cook the apples (as stated above) in a separate pan then combine everything into one bowl.
- 4 to 5 medium
- apples - different varieties give the best flavor
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 can(s)
- whole berry cranberry sauce
How to Make Cranberry Apples
- 1Wash the apples, halve, and remove the cores and stems.
- 2Chop the apples (do not remove the skin) into large chunks, approximatley 1/2" to 3/4" in size.
- 3Place apples, cinnamon, and water in medium size sauce pan and cook on medium low heat for approximately 20 minutes or until fork tender. Do NOT put a lid on the pan as it will make the apples mushy.
- 4Remove apples from heat. Gently stir in canned whole berry cranberries.
- 5Apples can be served immediately while hot or chilled and served up to two weeks later. (The dish can be reheated as desired.) Enjoy!!