1 cpineapple juice
2 Tbspbutter, unsalted
1angel food cake mix
16 ozvanilla frosting
2 Tbsporange juice, fresh
1 Tbsporange zest
30 ozcanned mandarin oranges, drained
20 ozpineapple slices, drained and cut into quarters
8 ozcream cheese frosting
2 csweetened shredded coconut, toasted -recipe follows
How to Make AMBROSIA CAKE
- PINEAPPLE CURD: Bring juice from canned pineapple to a boil. Whisk together, eggs and sugar in medium bowl. Add to pineapple juice, whisking continuously, over medium heat until it becomes thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- Take off heat, stir in butter and salt. Pour in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- CAKE: Bake cake according to package directions. When cooled, slice horizontal into 3 even layers.
- Take vanilla frosting, orange juice and orange zest; stir to combine.
- Place bottom layer of cake on platter, spread 1/2 of orange frosting on bottom layer, top with mandarin oranges.
- Place another layer of cake on top, spread pineapple curd over this layer and top with 4 slices of pineapple rings, cut into 1/2.
- Add a third layer of cake, frost all around the sides with rest of orange frosting. Frost top with cream cheese frosting.
- Cut 4 pineapple rings into quarters and layer on top of cream cheese frosting. Add the second can of drained, mandarin oranges on this layer with the pineapple.
- Press toasted coconut into sides and on top of cake.
- HOW TO TOAST COCONUT: Spread 8 oz flaked (I prefer flake) or shredded and sweetened coconut evenly on a large oven pan in pre heated oven @ 350. Watch carefully (10 - 12 minutes) until very light brown in color. Remove from oven and cool completely.