Feb 10, 2015
1 1/4 cups King Arthur© Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Instant ClearJel© (optional; not packed in a gluten-free facility)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice "or" vinegar
1) Lightly grease a 9" pie pan.
2) Whisk together the flour, sugar, ClearJel, xanthan gum, and salt.
3) Cut the cold butter into pats, then work the pats into the flour mixture until it's crumbly, with some larger, pea-sized chunks of butter remaining.
4) Whisk the egg and vinegar "or" lemon juice together, until very foamy. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture holds together, adding 1 to 3 additional tablespoons cold water if necessary and tablespoon at a time.
5) Shape into a ball and chill for an hour, or overnight.
6) Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before rolling.
7) Roll out on a pastry mat, that's been heavily sprinkled with gluten-free Multi-Purpose Flour. Invert the crust into the prepared pie pan.
8) Fill and bake as your pie recipe directs.
Yield: crust for one 9" single-crust pie.