Feb 24, 2018
Jan 3, 2016
Dec 3, 2015
Dec 19, 2014
2½ teaspoons powdered gelatin
2 cups eggnog
2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup raspberry jam
1. Place the cold water in a small heat-safe bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top of it. Let it sit for 5 minutes to bloom.
2. Melt the bloomed gelatin in the microwave, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir to make sure it is fully dissolved.
3. Pour the eggnog into a large bowl, then whisk the melted gelatin into the eggnog. Add the bourbon, if using, and whisk to combine.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla extract to medium peaks.
5. Gently fold the whipped cream into the eggnog mixture, mixing just to combine.
6. Pour the custard into 6 small bowls, cups or ramekins, leaving at least ½ inch of space at the top of the containers. Transfer the custards to the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight).
7. To serve, dollop 1 tablespoon of jam onto each portion and use the back of a spoon to gently smooth it to the edges. Serve chilled. (This recipe can be made up to three days ahead and kept refrigerated.)
Note: Looking to serve a crowd? This recipe doubles easily. Not enough small dishes on hand? Just pour the finished custard into a large serving bowl and increase the chilling time to 2 hours. To serve, scoop the custard into bowls and swirl in the jam.