Portuguese Bean Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 can(s)
- kidney, pinto or garbanzo beans (with the liquid)
- 2 lb
- ham hock, smoked
- carrots/chopped, & 2 stalks celery/chopped
- 1 lg.
- 3 clove
- garlic/grated & 1 sm. onion/chopped
- 1 small
- cabbage/shredded & 1 tblsp. fresh parsley/chopped
- 1/8 tsp
- dry mustard & 1 tsp. salt, + 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 (15) oz
- can tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes
- bayleaves & 5 peppercorns
- 8 c
- 6 oz
- portuguese sausage/ sliced; & browned
1Cook all ingredients together in a large pot for 2 1/2 hrs., except for sausage. Add sausage and cook 1 hr. longer.
2Makes 1 gallon. May be frozen (best in quarts).
3Sometimes I cook 1/2 bag of dry beans of my choice.