My Swedish Pea Soup
You can cook this on top of the stove, crockpot, or in a roasting pan in the oven.
I prefer to cook it in the oven or a Large cockpot when I am not going to be home. But if I do it in a cockpot I have to cut the recipe in half.
- smoked ham hocks
- left over ham bone with plenty of meat left on
- organic celery stock, chopped fine..save the leaves for chicken soup or make a celery stock
- organic carrots, chopped fine
- 1 medium
- organic brown onion, i prefer the texas onion. save the brown skin for coloring easter eggs
- 3 c
- of rich homemade plain beef stock..or if you must 3 bouillon cubes
- oregon myrtle leaf..or bay leaf
- 9 c
- water, plus 3 cups if you are using bouillon cubes
- 3 lb
- dried whole green peas, yellow peas, split green peas and split yellow peas. (organic)
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
We do not throw away the ham bone, the hook bones or the fat. It is all return to the soup after we have finished serving. We return it to the leftover soup as it keeps adding flavor to the soup. It freezes beautifully.
When I cook this, I start it cooking before I go to bed. I don't sleep well, for me it's not an inconvenience.