Mushroom and Barley Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, or more as necessary
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 medium
- carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 medium
- parsnip, peeled and diced small
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 lb
- assorted mushrooms ( see note), cleaned, stems trimmed, chopped or sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 qt
- chicken stock
- 1/2 c
- pearled or medium barley
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry (optional)
- freshley ground black pepper, to taste
1In a large heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, parsnip and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
2Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring only occasionally, until all the mushrooms are tender, about 15 minutes more, adding more butter if necessary.
3Season with pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Add the stock, sherry if desired, and barley, increase the heat to medium-high and bring almost to a boil.
4Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer gently until the barley is completely cooked and tender, about 1 hour. Check the liquid level during simmering; if a thinner consistency is desired, add additional stock.
5May keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for up to a couple of hours, or you may cover and refrigerate overnight and rewarm over low heat. To serve, garnish with parsley.