Mint and Fresh Pea Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin plus extra for serving
- 1/4 stick
- butter, unsalted
- 1 medium
- red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 c
- fresh peas, shelled or frozen petite baby peas
- 1 c
- mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 3/4 pt
- vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- parmigiano-reggiano, grated (optional)
1Gently heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the chopped onion and cook on a gentle heat for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft but not brown.
2Add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add 3/4 of the peas, the chopped mint leaves, and 3/4 stock. Cover the saucepan with a tight fitting lid and cook on a medium boil for 10 minutes.
3Blend the soup in a food processor, you will have a thick puree. Return the puree to the pan, season with salt and pepper and add the remaining peas and stock.
4Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Serve with crusty, fresh bread.
5If using Parmesan cheese place a small mound in the center of the bowl and pour the soup around. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
This soup is also delicious cold, but not chilled.