Lentil and Spinach Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- dried lentils (i used green.)
- 8 c
- beef broth (you may also substitute chicken or vegetable broth.)
- 2 c
- 1 medium
- onion (may use large if desired)
- 4 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove
- garlic - smashed but still whole
- 1 can(s)
- (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes
- bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 box
- (10 ounces) frozen spinach
- 1 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 small
- chilis (optional) thinly sliced
- 1 bunch
- cilantro, fresh (for garnish)
- 1 pkg
- frozen, sliced carrots (10 - 13 ounces) (you may certainly use fresh, grated carrots; i just did not have any on hand when i wrote the recipe.)
1Pick over and wash your lentils.
2Place beef broth, water, and lentils in a dutch over over a medium heat. Do not cover yet.
3Slice onion very thin. Put half of the raw onion into the pot with the lentils.
4Put 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet and heat. Cook the rest of the onion until crispy and add to the lentils and broth. Use a slotted spoon and do NOT add the olive oil and butter to the soup mixture.
5Smash the garlic cloves slightly to remove the skin, cut off the stem end and place in soup pot.
6Add a 15 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes. Do not drain if using crushed. Drain if using diced.
7Add 2 whole bay leaves.
8Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot.
9Add salt and pepper to taste.
10Add 10 ounces of frozen spinach to the pot.
11Cook on low heat, covered, until lentils begin to soften.
12Once lentils have begun to soften, add carrots.
13Add very thinly sliced chilis if desired.
14Serve using the remaining olive oil, the cilantro, and sour cream, if desired, as garnish.
15This is great with crisped pita bread as a side dish. I drizzle mine with olive oil and crisp it in the oven. Then, we dip it into the soup as we eat.