Garden Salad Soup
This soup is prepared with ingredients picked from the family garden. It’s a recipe handed down from descendants of the Czar’s Germans, from Odessa, Russia, and is an outstanding luncheon dish. source unknown
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/4 lbs. new potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 fresh head boston lettuce, romaine, or oak leaf lettuce
- 2 cups buttermilk or 1 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, or scallions, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1Put potatoes in a 4 quart pot. Add salted water to cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 15 to 20 minutes or til potatoes are soft and the tip of a knife penetrates easily. Drain and sliced 1/4 inch thick.
Rinse and spin dry salad greens. Tear into small pieces and divide among soup bowls. Mound 3/4 cup warm potatoes in each bowl. Pour 1/2 cup buttermilk or spoon 1/4 cup sour cream into each bowl.Sprinkle with green onions or scallions, salt and pepper.