Dilled Leek and Mushroom Soup
Note: You can prepare this soup a day ahead and gently reheat to serve. Do not reboil.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 stick
- butter, unsalted
- 2 c
- leeks, cleaned, white parts only, chopped small, (about 3 reg size or 1 lb)
- 1 lb
- baby bella mushrooms (or other hearty varietie(s)), rinsed, rough chop
- 1 large
- white rose potato, peeled, grated
- 6 c
- vegetable broth/stock, not low sodium
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh dill, chopped fine, feathery leaves only, or 2 tsp dry
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp
- cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- salt to taste if desired
1In a large pot, saute the leeks and mushrooms in the unsalted butter over med/hi heat. Stir frequently for 5 - 6 minutes or until the leeks are clear and the mushrooms start to cook well.
2Add the vegetable stock, grated potato, and dill. Bring to a boil over hi heat.
3Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer, covered for 1 hour.
4Remove lid. Add the cream and diluted cornstarch and heat though just until thickened a bit. Check for salt. Shy away from pepper as it could overwhelm the delicate balance of flavors.
5Serve hot with some crusty bread. Serves 10 as a starter or 6 for a hearty meal.