My husband cannot get enough of this chowder. We do use fresh corn off the cob, so as soon as he sees it is in, he wants this chowder!
An updated version of an Old West favorite _ this is loaded with corn! The red pepper and cilantro give it a fresh new taste.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 oz
- sliced bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2 c
- chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 c
- chicken broth
- 2 large
- potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
- 1 c
- half and half
- 4 c
- cooked corn kernels, drained
- 3/4 tsp
- coarsely ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 large
- red pepper, cut into 1/4" dice
- scallions (green onions), white bulb and 3 inches green, cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped cilantro (fresh coriander), for garnish
1Wilt the bacon in a large soup pot over low heat until fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
2Add the onions and wilt over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, another 5 minutes.
3Add the stock and potatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat until the potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
4Add the half-and-half, corn, pepper, and salt. Cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
5Add the bell pepper and scallions, adjust the seasonings, and cook an additional 5 miinutes. Serve immediately, garnnished with cilantro.