Soup to cry for
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 large
- yellow onions, sliced into rings
- clove garlic, minced
- 2 c
- low-sodium, reduced fat chicken broth
- 2 c
- low-sodium, reduced fat beef broth
- 1/2 c
- apple juice, unsweetened
- 1 tsp
- each, worcestershire sauce and ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp
- ground rosemary
- slices french stick bread
- garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/3 c
- shredded reduced fat mozzarella or jarlsberg cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
1Combine onions, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes. Onions should be tender and golden brown. Add remaining chicken broth, beef broth, apple juice, worcestershire sauce, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2Meanwhile, toast bread slices under the broiler for 1-2 minutes on each side. Be careful not to burn them. Remove from oven and rub each piece of toasted bread with the cut sides of the garlic halves (keep broiler on).
3Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls. Place toasted bread slices in each bowl and top with shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.