Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 lb
- honeycomb tripe, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 lb
- fresh pigs feet
- 1 large
- white onion, peeled and chopped
- ancho chile, roasted, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
- poblano chiles, roasted, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 to 6 c
- white hominy, drained (3 large cans or one restaurant sized can)
- 5 clove
- garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp
1Place hominy into a large pot. Add tripe, pigs feet, onion, oregano, garlic and peppercorns. Cover with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil.
2Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 2 hours. Add in chiles, cook for an additional hour and then serve hot.
3You may remove the pigs feet, remove the meat from them and replace the meat back into the pot before serving.
4Serve this soup with tortillas and chopped onion and cilantro and chopped green onion.
5NOTE: The original recipe calls for dried hominy. I used canned for the recipe. If you can find dried hominy then use it.
6DIRECTIONS FOR DRIED HOMINY:
Cover 2 cups hominy with water and soak overnight. Then place hominy in a medium pot, cover with 2-3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook hominy for 2 hours, adding more hot water as necessary to keep hominy covered.