Baba's Chicken Rice Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 stalk(s)
- celery with leaves chopped
- large carrot, whole or chopped
- 2-3 pinch
- large pinches of fresh parsley (dried is ok but not as good)
- 1/4 c
- chopped yellow or white onion (optional)
- chicken bouillon cubes (if using double bj's size, only 4)
- 6 dash(es)
- ground black pepper
- 1 c
- uncooked long grain white rice or 2 1/2 cups cooked rice) i prefer uncooked rice - it absorbs the flavors better.
- 1 pinch
- saffron (optional)
1Put everything but the rice in a large dutch oven and cover with about 2-3 inches of water.
2Bring to a fast boil, then down to a simmer. Boil about 15-25 minutes, depending on if the chicken was frozen or fresh. You want the chicken to be just about done.
3Remove chicken from pot while still simmering to plate and cut into small bite size pieces. Put back in pot.
4Remove carrot if you chose to cook it whole onto same plate and mash with fork and return to pot.
5If using cooked rice, skip this step and just add the rice without boiling any more. Bring back to a rolling boil and add uncooked rice. Stir constantly to keep from sticking to bottom of pot until rolling boil again. Set timer to 21-22 minutes.
6As with any soup, taste test and add seasoning and more water as needed.