German Green Bean Soup
- 1 - 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground beef, lean,
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 2-lb bag frozen green beans
- 1 - 2 tbsp vegeta food seasoning
- 5 cups potatoes, cut up
- hints*** add celery seeds, parsley, or summer savory to taste. add freshly ground pepper (i add lots!) for this green bean soup recipe, the vegeta food seasoning i use has salt and dried vegetables in it. if you don't have this, just add about 1 tsp.
- salt and some pepper to start. adjust seasonings to taste. if you like soup "brothy", just leave the way it is. however, my family likes it thicker (creamier). the easy way is to slowly add instant mashed potato flakes, stirring constantly, until the
- another way to thicken the soup is to grate a raw potato into the soup right at the beginning.
- you can also thicken it with 1 - 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water. add to finished soup, slowly, until it's the way you like it.
Add chopped onion, cook till translucent or slightly browned.
Add frozen green beans. Add raw potatoes. (If using cooked potatoes, add once beans are cooked and just reheat.)
Add sufficient water to cover.
Add Food Seasoning.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Cooking longer will improve the flavor.