Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil, divided
- skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- bay leaves
- 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 c
- chopped drained roasted red peppers from a jar
- (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 2 c
- 1" cubes country-style bread - not the fluffy stuff
- 3 Tbsp
- coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt; add to pot and cook, turning once, until browned, 8–10 minutes.
Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to low and let oil cool for 1 minute; add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 30–60 seconds
2Add cumin, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes; stir until a smooth paste forms, about 1 minute.
Add reserved chicken with any accumulated juices, along with bay leaves and 4 cups water.
3Scrape up any browned bits and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, occasionally stirring, until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a plate
4Add chickpeas to pot; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Shred chicken; add to stew.
5Add red peppers.
Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; simmer for 1 minute.
6Season with salt and more lemon juice, if desired. Divide bread cubes among bowls.
Ladle soup over.
Garnish with parsley.