potato leek soup
- leeks, white to light green part only, rinsed for grit, and chopped
- 3 1/2 lb
- scrubbed and cubed yukon gold type potatoes
- 3 slice
- applewood bacon, crisped in soup pot, removed and chopped for garnish
- 10 c
- low sodium chicken broth (i use chicken base)
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
Clean leeks by cutting in half and rinsing in a bowl of cold water. The grit just falls right to the bottom of the bowl. Cube scrubbed potatoes and put into a bowl of cold water.
Crisp bacon in soup pot, remove when done and wipe out most of bacon grease.