Mushroom Barley Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 large
- onion, diced
- 1 lb
- fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 c
- carrots, diced or sliced to size you prefer
- 4 clove
- garlic, sliced lengthwise or smashed (peeled)
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme or tarragon or oregano (your choice)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 c
- low sodium vegetable broth or organic or homemade chicken broth
- 1 c
- pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp
- flat-leafed (italian) parsley
1Rinse the Barley and cook in a separate pot for about an hour. Drain well and hold it off to the side. (Some recipes say to add the uncooked barley to your soup and cook it all together. I don’t like the starchiness and the broth will be cloudy. Depends on your preference).
2Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until lightly caramelized. Add the carrots and continue to sauté until carrots soften. Add the Salt, pepper and herb of choice. Take this mix of vegetables and add to a stock pot. Cover with the broth of your choice (Chicken or vegetable).
3In a separate pan, sauté the mushrooms until softened and then add them to the broth mix. Add the cooked barley to the pot and simmer, partially covered cook it all together for about 30 minutes.
Top with the chopped flat-leaf parsley before serving.