Jambalaya~Shrimp and Sausage
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2-3 lb lb
- thinly sliced sausage (andouille or a nice smoked and spicy sausage)
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- chopped green bell peppers (lg)
- 3 clove
- minced garlic (may add more to taste)
- 2 bunch
- chopped fresh parsley
- lg stalks celery, chopped
- 3 can(s)
- 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- diced roma tomatoes (fresh)
- 2 can(s)
- 16 oz. cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 bunch
- chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tsp
- thyme (heaping)
- bay leaves (medium to lg)
- 2 tsp
- crushed oregano leaves (heaping)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- creole seasoning (i add more to taste always and heap it in the beginning)
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper (you may add more to taste if you want)
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 c
- raw, washed and rinsed till water is clear of starch (at least 3 times), long grain rice
- 2-3 lb
- peeled, washed medium shrimp
1Note: Begin washing and rinsing rice first...directions for this with rice step #7.
2In a large heavy pot, saute sausage until firm and remove with a slotted spoon leaving drippings in pot.
3Add olive oil to drippings and saute green peppers, garlic, parsley and celery for 5 min. (may seem like a lot of drippings and oil but not to worry)
4Chop tomatoes (Roma) and reserve liquid.
5Add tomatoes (cans and fresh), tomato liquid, chicken broth and green onion to pot and stir letting cook about 5 mins on med low to med heat.
6Stir in all the spices. Let cook for about 15 mins. tasting to see if you would like to add more of the creole seasoning...or any of the others if you would like.
7Add the rice which has been washed and rinsed at least 3 times (washing: put rice in a lg. bowl and add cool water to cover, stirring occasionally...when water becomes milky transfer to a colander and spray to rinse...repeat step until water is clear when rice is stirred)
8Add the sausage and cook covered 30 minutes over low heat. Stir occasionally so rice does not stick.
9After most of liquid has been absorbed by the rice, add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Stir well to mix ingredients.
10Transfer the mixture to oblong casserole dishes and bake at 350 uncovered approximately 25 minutes (After placing in casserole dishes may be refrigerated...if refrigerated bake for 45 minutes) serves 18
11NOTE: I always use 3 lbs of sausage and 3 lbs shrimp...but 2 lbs of each is acceptable. I sometimes add crawfish tails and scallops to the exsisting recipe to make it extra special (these are added with the shrimp..crawfish tails usually come in bags I add 2 and the scallops in containers and I add 2 of those also)