French Onion Soup - MW
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 6 large
- yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- makers mark or wild turkey bourbon
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 can(s)
- condensed beef consommé (10 3/4 oz)
- 4 c
- beef broth (low fat, low sodium or homemade)
- 4 c
- chicken broth (low fat, low sodium or homemade)
- 2-3 sprig(s)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slice
- french bread (cut about 1 inch thick)
- 2 c
- swiss cheese, shredded
- 16 slice
- jarlsberg cheese
Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Peel and dice onions - I generally go for a medium-sized dice, but you can also use a rough chop.
Move rack to 6 inches below broiler. Turn on broiler to heat.
Toast both sides of bread slices to a golden brown. Lightly butter one side.
Place a slice of toasted bread (buttered side up) in each bowl.
Top bread with 1/4 cup shredded swiss and 2 slices Jarlsberg.
Broil the bowls of soup until cheeses are melted and bubbly - about 6 minutes.