Cheese and Onion Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- onions, finely chopped
- strips of bacon or more
- flour for thickening
- 3 to 4 oz
- mimolette cheese or gruyere, swiss or any cheese you like
- sea or kosher salt to taste
- mixture of peppers to taste ( peppercorn medley) freshly ground
- about 2 1/2 pts of whole milk or half and half
- dry white wine (optional)
- slices for french bread lightly garlic buttered and toasted
- a pinch or two of nutmeg
- chopped garlic tops or green onion tops
1Toast in the oven the buttered garlic bread slices and set aside.
Place the bacon in a soup pot and brown till crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain all but about 2 - 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
2Add the finely chopped onions and cook until golden brown. Add a tad of flour and stir to make a roux with the onions. Let the roux is become slightly brown in color, but not burnt.
3Pour the half and half or milk in, stir and add the salt, pepper and a pinch or two of nutmeg. Add the dry white wine. Stir.
Cook on a low light, stirring, for about 30 minutes until thickened.
4To serve: In warmed soup bowls place a slice of the toasted garlic bread, pour the hot soup over the bread, add the grated cheese on top and the bacon crisps and chopped green onions or garlic tops. Serve.