Cheese and Onion Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- onions, finely chopped
- strips of bacon or more
- flour for thickening
- 3 to 4 oz
- mimolette cheese or gruyere, swiss or any cheese you like
- sea or kosher salt to taste
- mixture of peppers to taste ( peppercorn medley) freshly ground
- about 2 1/2 pts of whole milk or half and half
- dry white wine (optional)
- slices for french bread lightly garlic buttered and toasted
- a pinch or two of nutmeg
- chopped garlic tops or green onion tops
Place the bacon in a soup pot and brown till crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain all but about 2 - 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
Cook on a low light, stirring, for about 30 minutes until thickened.