Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup
I love to occasionally make this cheesy, smokey, and potato soup! It is a must in my household..I love it that it can be made using my crock pot, since I do not like getting up on Saturday mornings and having to cook lunch. But, not only is it nice due to using my crock pot..it is mostly nice due to its delicious taste! My family always request that I make this recipe again and again! I made it for yesterdays lunch, and it did not last. I also made homemade Italian Herb bread in my Oster bread machine. If you do not wish to make 6 qts of soup, please reduce ingredients.
- 8 slice
- 3 c
- onion, chopped
- 10 medium
- potatoes, washed, skinned, and cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 medium
- celery stalks, chopped
- 8 c
- chicken stock or progresso chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- 3 c
- 16 oz
- shredded cheddar cheese (or american and cheddar cheese blend)
- 1 c
- carrots, diced (optional)
11.In a skillet, cook bacon slices over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown and crispy. Remove bacon from skillet and reserve bacon grease in skillet.
2. Drain cooked bacon on paper towels and then refrigerate for further use as topping.
3. In same skillet (bacon was fried in previously), fry the onion in the remaining bacon grease over medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is tender.
4. Spray 6 quart crock pot with cooking spray and add onion, potatoes, celery, carrots (optional), broth, salt, and pepper..stir them together.
5. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6-7 hours.
6. In small bowl, beat flour and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended and lump free.
7. Stir the flour mixture into the soup.
8. Increase heat setting to HIGH setting, then cover, and cook for another 30 minutes longer or until thickened.
9. Stir in cheese until well melted and crumble bacon and sprinkle it over top. Enjoy!