HOMEMADE CREAM OF POTATO SOUP
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 5 or 6 slice
- bacon, diced into small pieces.
- 1/2 large
- sized onion, diced
- rib celery, diced
- 3 large
- potatoes, peeled and cubed (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 to 4 c
- water (add 3, but may need to add a bit more)
- black pepper to taste (this shouldn't need added salt...)
- 3 c
- milk (more if you want to add more)
- 2/3 c
- all purpose flour (in a shaker with 1 cup of water, shaken well to make a thickening)
- 3 Tbsp
- butter (optional)
1In a saucepan, cook bacon and add onion...Cook until browned, reserving drippings. Cut the heat and add diced celery. Set aside.
2In a large pot, add cubed potatoes and cover with the water. (Add more to completely cover the potatoes if needed.) Cook the potatoes until tender. Add bacon, onion & celery mixture. Be sure and add at least most of the bacon drippings too. (This is where a lot of the flavor is.) Stir together.
3When the liquid is hot, add the chicken bullion to make a light but savory chicken broth. Add milk and butter. Heat to just under boiling temperature and add the flour & water mixture and whisk in to thicken the soup. Thicken it to as thin or as thick as you like. Add pepper to taste. This shouldn't need any salt... add if needed.
4Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes and thin with a little more milk or water if it gets too thick. Serve hot with crackers. (Garnish with some 'real bacon bits', shredded cheese and chopped green onion tops sprinkled on top of each bowl - OPTIONAL)