Oyster Rockefeller Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 cups (about 48) shucked oysters
- 2 quarts cold water
- 3/4cup (1½ sticks) butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup pernod or herbsaint (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- pint of heavy cream
- 1 pkg frozen or canned artichoke hearts
- 4 or 5 good grates of nutmeg
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1 large shallot
1Place the oysters in a large saucepan and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Cook over medium heat just until the oysters begin to curl, about 5 minutes. Strain the oysters, reserving the stock. Set oysters aside. Chop spinach, celery, artichokes and shallots.
2Melt the butter in a large pot and sauté the celery and shallots until tender. Stir in the flour, then add the oyster stock. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Add the Pernod,(if you
do not have pernod or herbsaint, you could use a few dashes of bitters or at the very least some brandy) spinach, parsley and artichokes ; season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour in the cream and simmer several minutes until the soup is hot, then serve.
You could sprinkle parsley or salty croutons on top.
3Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes