Hearty Corn Chowder
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and diced, keep skin on
- red yams, peeled and diced
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- medium carrots, thick shredded or small dice
- stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 c
- can of chicken broth
- clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- chicken soup base, paste
- 1/2 tsp
- pepper, poultry seasoning and salt
- cans of canned corn -or- 16 oz. pkg frozen yellow corn
- cans of cream style corn
- 2 c
- 1/2 & 1/2
- 2 c
- chopped cooked ham -or- shredded cooked chicken breast
- mrs dash, salt & pepper to taste
- butter and flour, see below
1Saute the onion, celery and garlic in the butter until clear. Add water & broth. Add potatoes, carrots and yams.
2Simmer 15-20 minutes. You may add more broth and soup base for added flavor. Add all ingredients and let cook through until potatoes are cooked and the soup is hot.
3If the soup is too thin, take 3 tbsp. of sotened butter and two tbsp. of flour. Make a paste and add to the soup mixtures, stirring as adding. It will thicken.
4We like it thick so oftentimes I add frozen mixed vegetables as well, maybe 1 cup. You may salt and pepper to taste. I add Mrs. Dash occasionally to add more flavor as needed. Soup is not a science, a lot of "dump and pour, little of this and that" methods. Add seasonings and thickeners as you wish.
5The red skins and red yams add lovely color, flavor and body to the soup. Serve with hot corn bread and a salad.