Slow Cooker Salsa Chili
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef (at least 80% lean) or ground turkey
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped (~ 1/2 cup)
- 16 oz
- thick and chunky salsa
- 15 oz
- tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 oz
- chopped green chiles (1 small can)
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- 1 can(s)
- pinto beans, drained and rinsed (15 or 16 oz)
- shredded cheddar cheese, if desired
- sliced green onions, if desired
1Cook beef/ turkey with onion in skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally, until thoroughly cooked. Drain.
2In a 3 - 4 quart slow cooker, mix beef/ turkey mixture and the remaining ingredients except beans.
3Cover and cook on the Low heat setting for 8 - 10 hours.
4Stir in beans. Cover and continue to cook for another 5 minutes to heat the beans. Top with cheese and onions if desired.
5Vary this recipe by using black beans. If you prefer a milder chili, use mild salsa and a little less chili powder.
6This recipe can be doubled: use a 5 - 6 quart slow cooker and cook for the same amount of time.