Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 whole chicken about 5 pounds or more
- 4 whole turnips, peeled and cut up into chunks
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole rutabaga, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, washed and trimmed, or you can use dried.
- fresh thyme, about 3 pcs, leaves only if dried, fresh, you need about 3 stems
- 3 stems of fresh rosemary, or you can use dried
- 3 whole bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bag 16 oz. wide egg noodles
Place it in the bottom of a large stock pot.
Add all your vegetables to the pot, and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches.
Put the bay leaves, the whole cloves, and the allspice berries in a spice bag if you can,and tie it up with kitchen string.Throw it in the pot along with your herbs. Now if you use the dried, just sprinkle them over everything chicken and veggies.
Add your garlic, salt, and pepper and and the cayenne pepper and stir everything together. Set it on high heat, bring it to a boil, skim off the fat and that scummy stuff and lower the heat to medium. Let the entire thing reduce or cook down until you have about half your liquid. This is important! You're concentrating your broth! Do not throw out your veggies. Some people do. I'm telling you don't! They help make the soup!
Debone the entire chicken and use everything, white and dark meat. It makes no sense to use a whole chicken in a soup then throw half of it away, so use it. Tear the meat into bite sized pcs. You're gonna have a lot!
Return the meat to the pot and turn the heat back up to medium high. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and add your noodles. Stir carefully. Let it cook for at least 8-10 mins. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 mins stir and enjoy!