Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2-3 c
- chicken, chopped (left over rotisserie chicken)
- 4 slice
- meaty bacon, sliced thin (remove part of the fatty portion and save for other use)
- carrots medium size, peeled and chopped
- celery ribs, chopped
- 2 c
- mushrooms, chopped
- onion (small), chopped
- garlc cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 box
- chicken stock (see note)
- 3/4 c
- wild rice (i buy it in the bulk)
- 1/2 c
- brown basmati (opt)
- 1/2 pt
- heavy cream (optional sub with evaporated milk )
- 3-4 sprig(s)
- thyme, fresh on stem
- pinch of pepper flakes, opt (more if you like heat)
- 1 Tbsp
- bell pepper grated, (i keep pepper pieces in the freezer, skin peels off easily and they chop or grate easily)
- olive oil, if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
Add pepper flakes, pepper, rice and chicken.
Cover pot, reduce heat and cook 45 - 60 minutes.
Turn off heat, remove Thyme "sticks" and add cream. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with a crusty bread for sopping up the yummy broth!
Remove the skin from the chicken and discard. Take off breast, legs, wings and thighs. Strip meat off of legs and thighs. Put carcass, leg and thigh bones in a pot with 1 large carrot, 1 celery rib, 1 garlic clove and onion (all chopped large); add 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and let simmer for an hour. Drain broth by placing a colander over a large bowl. When bones are cool enough you can pick out the chunks of chicken and discard remainder. (I always do this with any chicken carcass whether or not I’m making soup. It freezes well). This broth will decrease your need for the 1/2 box of broth. It's well worth the extra effort as it adds so much more flavor.