Chinese-Style Chicken Stock-Basic Recipe
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 8 c
- water more or less as needed for pan
- 2 lb
- chicken necks and backs
- 1 stalk(s)
- celery, cut into 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 small
- carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch lengths
- yellow onion, peeled, cut in 1/2
- leek, including tender green tops, carefully washed and sliced
- green onions, including tender green tops, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 slice
- fresh ginger, each 1/8 inch thick, peeled
- 1 Tbsp
- rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
1Combine the chicken pieces,and all remaining ingredients in a 4 quart kettle. Add enough cold water to fill the kettle 3/4 full. Place over medium heat, uncovered, and bring slowly to a boil.
Skim off any scum that forms on the surface. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting and simmer, uncovered, for 2 1/2 hours. Skim the scum off the surface as needed.
2Strain through a sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth into a storage container. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Use immediately, or let cool, then cover and refrigerate.
3Using a large spoon, lift of the fat that solidifies on the surface and discard, If not using the stock immediately, pour into 1 or more containers, cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
The stock can also be frozen in small containers for up ti 2 months, and ten reboiled before using.