Chicken noodle soup with lemons and scallions
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- two bone in skin on chicken breasts, season with salt and black pepper, 1 1/2 pounds
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cups each sliced carrots and diced onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- two dried bay leaves
- 8 ounces dry, curly, wide egg or kluski noodles
- chopped scallions
- minced lemon zest
1heat oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix broth, celery, carrots, onion, thyme, and Bay leaves in a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Top with chicken breasts, skin side up. Cover slow cooker and cook until chicken is tender on high setting, four hours. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool briefly.
2Add noodles to the slow cooker, cover and cook until tender, 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin, fat, and bones from chicken, then shredded meat and add to soup. Season soup with salt and pepper. Garnish servings with scallions and lemon zest.
3serves eight or makes 12 to 14 cups