Chicken Noodle Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium celery stalks, trimmed and diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cups high quality (organic, low sodium) or home made chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup whole wheat egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
While the vegetables are in the pot, disassemble the chicken: Remove the skin from the entire bird, save half and throw the other half away. Pull as much meat off of the bones that you can, set aside. Throw away all of the bones and large pieces of fat.
After the onion has softened, add the chicken stock, black pepper, garlic and dill weed. Bring back to a simmer over medium heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Add in the reserved chicken skin, 1 cup of chicken meat and the noodles. Simmer for about 10 minutes until a light foam forms. Skim this foam with a spoon. Remove and discard the skin once the 10 minutes are up.
Taste now and determine if you need to add any salt or additional pepper. The rotisserie chicken should impart some salt, so you may not want to add any. I added 3 pinches to mine. Stir in the minced parsley.
Serve hot with crackers.
*To keep gluten free: replace pasta with rice, quinoa or other grain free additive of your choice.