Chicken, Beans and Greens Soup
I also shared the recipe with a local coffee shop and they tell of repeat customers who've enjoyed it!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 can (14.5 oz) italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup each coarsely chopped carrots, celery, & leeks/onions
- 1 lb. skinned boneless chicken breast cut in 1/2 inch chunks (if you use a family-sized rotisserie chicken, it makes a double batch)
- 8 cups chicken stock (not broth)
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta (caution: use less if you use acini de pepe since it swells terrifically!)
- 4 cups loosely packed, chopped greens (bagged mixed ones or mustard, turnip, collard, escarole) or even spinach work well & fast!
- 1 can (19 oz) white kidney beans (cannellini) or any other favorite, undrained
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- (topping: grated parmesan cheese)
- 1 cup each chunked yellow and zucchini squash and colored sweet peppers
1Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat; add carrots & squash and saute until slightly softened.
2Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
3Add rest of chopped raw veggies (except greens, and beans which come later, almost at the end)and cook 3-4 minutes until almost tender.
4Add chicken and cook 3 minutes, stirring often, until opaque.
5Pour in chicken stock and tomatoes, increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
6Add pasta, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente.
7Stir in greens and simmmer uncovered, stirring periodically, 20 minutes until greens are tender. Add undrained beans, salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes longer
until heated through.
8Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired. Very filling! I prep and prepare this through cooking the chicken, add tomatoes and stock, chill & complete it the next day, then adding the pasta.