Beef and Red Wine Broth
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 c
- chopped yellow onions
- carrots, peeled and chopped
- parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 8 to10 clove
- garlic (about half of a small head),peeled and chopped
- 3/4 c
- chopped fresh italian parsley
- 5 c
- beef stock or a combo of beef and chicken stock
- 1 c
- dry red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 c
- small pasta, such as shells or orzo
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for garnish (optional)
1Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over low heat. Add the onions,carrots,parsnip, and chopped garlic and cook, covered until the vegetables are tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes.
2Add the chopped parsley,beef stock and wine and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes.
3Meanwhile, bring a quart of salted water to a boil, drop in the pasta and cook until tender. Drain and reserve.
4Pour the soup through a strainer and discard the solids. Return the broth to the pot, add the cooked pasta and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkle with the grated cheese if desired.