Mertzie's Smoky Black Bean Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- smoked ham hock
- 64 oz. container chicken broth
- container, knorr's chicken stock
- cups water
- onion, peeled, but not diced
- celery stalks, whole
- bay leaf
- large cans, black beans, drained somewhat
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained somewhat
- pinch of saffron
- tbs cumin
- tbs curry
- clove, minced garlic
- tsp cajun seasoning
- tbs cilantro
- ground black pepper
- italian flat leaf parsley (for garnish)
1Cook the ham hock in the chicken broth, stock, water, onion, celery, bay leaf & saffron threads in Dutch Oven. I cooked about 3 hours the night before & then refrigerated until the next day. Remove the onion & celery.
2Skim any fat from the top of the soup & return to stove. Take out the ham hock & bigger ham pieces that may have cooked up. I added about half of the ham back in, & saved the rest for another dish.
3Add curry, garlic, cumin, cajun seasoning, & pepper. Heat through. Add the black beans & tomatoes. Continue to simmer until the flavors are blended, about another hour.
4Garnish w/ parsley & a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!