SLOW COOKER BLACK BEAN CHIPOLTE SOUP WITH CHICKEN
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- dry black beans
- 2 stick
- celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- yellow onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 c
- crushed tomatoes
- 4 can(s)
- (4 ounces) chopped mild green chiies, drained
- 6 c
- chicken or vegtable stock
- 2 tsp
- 2 c
- left-over cooked chicken pieces either white or dark or both. a broasted chicken cut into pieces would be goodl
- salt and pepper to taste; if you use a broasted chicken you may not to add salt. i didn't add any salt at all,
- optional toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, chunky-style salsa
1Rinse and sort beans and place in large bowl; cover completly with water.m Soak 6-8 hours overnight. (To qick soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil,over high heat, DO NOT ADD SALT. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour). Drain beans, discard water. You could add 4 cans of drained black beans instead of using the dry bean.
2Place beans in slow cooker. Add celery, carrots and onion. You could add another of you favorite winter veggies (ie parsnips, rutabaga).
3Combine chipolte peppers, tomatoes, chilies, stock and cumin in a bowl, add to slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hour or on High for 4 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Season with pepper and salt to taste. I didn't add salt but you could use sea salt or kosher salt.
4If you want a thinner soup, prosess mixture in blender, 2-4 soup ladle fulls, to desired consistancy Be sure blender cover is on. Return to pot and add cooked chicken.