Quick Black Eyed Pea Soup1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1-2 Tbsp
- onion, coarsely chopped
- garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 c
- black-eyed peas, picked over, rinsed
- 6 c
- chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- ham hock, smoked, optional
- carrots, peeled and chunked
- 10 oz
- baby okra, fresh or frozen, trimmed, thawed
- hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
1Heat the butter in the cooker; saute the onion and garlic until the onion is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
2Add the black-eyed peas, stock, ham hock (if desired), and carrots.
3Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure.
4Adjust heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
5Let the pressure drop naturally or use a quick release method.
6Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
7Remove and discard the ham hock, if used.
8Stir in the okra, hot sauce, and salt to taste.
9Simmer until the okra is cooked, another 3 to 4 minutes.
10Adjust seasonings and serve.