PORTUGUESE BEAN SOUP(SOPA DE FEIJAO)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 lb
- (1 1/4 cups )dried red beans or roman beans.soaked overnight
- in enough water to cover by 2 inches (about 4 cups of water.
- 6 c
- 1 bunch
- (about 1 1/2,pounds before trimming)kale,rinsed and trimmed of the thick center rib.
- 4 clove
- fresh garlic,finely chopped
- bay leaf
- 5 Tbsp
- of portuguese olive oil(or what ever kind of italian olive oil.)
- 2 Tbsp
- portuguese parsley,finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- coarse salt(.you can add more to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- of red pepper flakes.(or black pepper)you can add more pepper to your taste.
Cover and bring it to a boil.
REDUCE the heat to medium- low and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are very tender.(easy mashed with a fork).
Roll lengthwise and slice crosswise into 1/2- inch wide strips,-like chiffonnade but wider.
CUT the strips again ,crosswise , into shorter lengths,(about 2- inches.)set it aside.
USE a food mill,colander,or sieve set over the bowl to process the beans; ONLY bean skins should remain .
DISCARD the skins and return the pureed beans to the stockpot with garlic, bay leave ,and olive oil.
THIS SOUP can be serve simply with crusty country bread and olives and nice glass of white wine.Or Portuguese vinho de port.