Ham and Bean Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- great northern beans rinsed, drained and picked over, discard beans that float to the top
- ham bones/hocks around 2lbs and or scraps and pieces left over
- large onion chopped
- clove garlic
- large potato pared and cubed
- celery ribs finely chopped
- large carrot shredded or sliced (can add more if you like)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, minced
- pepper to taste
1In a large soup pot combine beans and 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil and cover and continue to boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat and allow to stand covered for 1 hr. Add ham bones/hocks onion and garlic and boil again for about 1 hr. Reduce heat and simmer for around 2 hrs. Add potatoes, celery and carrots. Allow to simmer for around 1 hr. more or longer as needed.
2Remove bones from and dice up any extra meat you want to add and add to soup. Discard fat, this is always easier after its been refrigirated.