Big-Batch Lentil Soup
What a great jump-off it was! Here's my take:
* I use more red peppers (4 - 6) or 4 - 6 of a mixture of red yellow and orange
* ONLY red lentils - makes a much prettier soup - only a beautiful shade of red/orange with no muddiness.
* add 6 - 8 good sized carrots, chopped
* 42 oz. diced or petite diced tomatoes
* I also up the amounts of cumin, coriander and oregano and ALWAYS add cayenne so the soup has a bit of a bite.
* Also make it with homemade chicken or veggie stock, oOR reduced-salt store-bought chicken/veggie stock.
* Last, I add the juice of half to a whole lime, and sometimes the lime zest.
* Use a food processor to chop all the veggies and a emulsifier in the soup pot to puree and it's easy easy to make!
* Cook the soup down (on low heat so it doesn't stick) until it's as thick as you prefer.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onions, chopped
- red bell peppers, chopped
- garlic cloves, minced
- jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 Tbsp
- oregano, fresh chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- cumin, ground
- 1.5 tsp
- coriander, ground
- 4 c
- lentils, red or brown, rinsed
- 92 oz
- chicken broth
- 28 oz
- tomatoes, canned with juice
- 1.25 tsp
- 1/2 c
- cilantro, fresh and chopped
- 1/3 c
- sour cream
- 1 Tbsp
- lime juice
LIME CREAM INGREDIENTS
1Warm oil in large pot over medium heat.
2Add onion; cook 3 minutes.
3Add red pepper, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin and coriander; cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.
4Add lentils, broth, tomatoes with liquid (breaking them up with a spoon) and 2 cups water; Bring to a boil.
5Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally; Stir in salt.
6Remove 1/3 of the soup to food processor fitted with metal blade; Puree soup by pulsing on-and-off.
7Stir puree back into soup in pot, along with cilantro.
8For lime cream: In small bowl, mix sour cream and lime juice; set aside for use on top of soup when served.