From the Southern Living Comfort Food cook booklet with a couple of minor changes to suit my own peferences.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lb
- yellow squash, cut into slices
- 1 lb
- zucchini, cut into slices
- small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 c
- grated carrots
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken, if you prefer)
- 8 oz container sour cream
- 1 to 2
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained (you could use just 1 can; i prefer 2)
- 8 oz package herb-seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 c
- butter, melted
1Preheat oven to 350. Place squash, suchinni, onion and about 2 tsp salt in pan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
2Stir together carrots, soup, sour cream and water chestnuts. Add additional salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp) in large bowl. Gently fold the cooked squash into the mixture.
3Stir together the stuffing and melted butter. Spoon half of the stuffing into a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Spoon squash mixture over the stuffing; top with remaining stuffing.
4Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. May need to cover with aluminum foil after the first 20 minutes of cooking to avoid over-browning. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.