Oven-Roasted Tomato and Sweet Corn Gratin
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp
- plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium
- onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 c
- fresh whole-wheat or sourdough bread crumbs (4-6 slices bread)
- coarse-grained salt and cracked black pepper
- ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1/2 c
- loosely packed, roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4-6 medium
- fresh tomatoes (about 1 lb.), peeled, cored, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, minced (optional)
1Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9 inch square baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
2In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tb. olive oil, over med-high heat, until hot but not smoking. Add onions; stir to coat evenly with oil. Add water to pan, and cover. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, 15 to 18 minutes. While onions are cooking, season bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Set aside. Break corn cobs in half, then slice off kernels.
3When onions are thoroughly cooked, turn off heat. Add corn and garlic (if using), to onions; stir, until corn, garlic, and onions are evenly distributed. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
4Spread one third of bread crumbs, in the prepared baking dish. Top with a layer of tomatoes, then half of onion, garlic (if using), and corn mixture. Repeat layer, finishing with tomato slices. Spray (or drizzle 1 tsp.) olive oil over tomatoes. Finish with bread crumbs on top & spray with cooking spray.
5Bake 35-40 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.