Creamed Cabbage Variations
So here are some variations to a basic baked cabbage recipe that play with different flavors and food combinations.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 medium
- head green cabbage
- 1 can(s)
- condensed soup, see variations below
- 1 c
- half & half or milk
- 2 pinch
- mixed herbs, see variations below
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c
- bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/4 c
- grated cheese, see variations below
- tomato soup, italian herbs, parmesan cheese
- mushroom soup, chopped mushrooms, herbs du provence blend, swiss cheese
- cheddar cheese or tomato soup, chili powder, cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cooked and crumbled sausage, onion or potato soup, parmesan cheese
- chopped smoked sausage, tomato soup, thyme and rosemary, mozzarella cheese
1First, cook cabbage in boiling salted water until fairly soft but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain and place in a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2In a saucepan, stir soup over medium heat, and slowly stir in cream or milk until smooth. Add the mixed herbs and cook soup until hot and just comes to a boil. Pour soup mixture evenly over cabbage.
3Top with bread crumbs (if desired) and grated cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly and topping is melted and browned.
4If using sausage in the recipe, add it to the cabbage in the casserole dish, then pour the sauce over and continue as above.