CHEESY TOMATO CUPS WITH CREAMED SPINACH
Rose Mary Mogan
The addition of swiss, cheddar, & parmesan cheeses added just what was needed to elevate the flavors & creaminess of the spinach.
I made 14 halves of these, I did share with the neighbors, but my husband loves them so much, I hope they last @ least 2 days.
I love veggies , & this was one of 4 sides to make our meal complete for our CHRISTmas Dinner.
By cooking the whipping cream over a low simmer to half the reduction, adds a lot more creaminess & flavor.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 7 medium
- fresh tomatoes, washed, halved, & cored
- 2 c
- heavy whipping cream
- 40 oz
- frozen chopped spinach ( thawed & squeezed dry)
- 1 large
- sweet onion, chopped (vadalia or similiar) chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- each butter & olive oil
- mini sweet peppers (red, yellow & orange) chopped
- 1 c
- cubed sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 8 oz
- cubed swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 c
- shredded parmesan plus extra for top & inside tomato cups
- 8 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- lemon pepper
- 1 tsp
- nutmeg (you will be surprised @ the flavor it adds)
- 2 tsp
- onion powder
- `1/2-1 tsp
- kosher salt or to your taste
- 1 1/2 tsp
3Wash core & halve tomatoes. Using a table spoon.go around inside of tomato with a tablespoon to remove center of membrane. Save for another use. Repeat till all of the tomatoes have been cored. Place in prepared casserole dish,sprinkle a small amount of parmesan into each tomato cup, and set aside till ready to fill with creamed spinach mixture.