Russian Pickled Tomatoes
Cook time = sitting for 3 days.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- large firm under-ripe beefsteak or salad tomatoes, washed under cold water and halved
- celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- baby carrots, washed and sliced in half lengthwise
- medium celery root, peeled and sliced
- garlic cloves, quartered
- mini bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- chili pepper of your choice (optional)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- coarse kosher or sea salt
- 2 Tbsp
1Layer all ingredients except the salt and honey in a 1-gallon jar, starting and finishing with the aromatics and making sure that the jar is filled to the rim. You may need to cut the last tomato into quarters so it fits perfectly. Then add salt and honey and fill completely the jar with cold water.
2Place and tighten the lid, turning the jar a few times upside down until the salt and honey is dissolved; then take off the lid and cover the jar with a piece of cheesecloth and keep the jar in a warm, sunny place (I keep mine on the balcony). Let stand for 3 days or until you can see tiny bubbles coming up.
3Once a day, place and tighten the lid and turn the jar upside down for a few seconds, then set it back down, take off the lid, cover again with the cheesecloth and let stand until the next day. After two days, taste to see if you like it. If you find it’s not ready for your taste, let it stand for another day and then refrigerate and enjoy. You can keep them safely for about one month refrigerated.