GREEN BEANS WITH COUNTRY HAM
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil or bacon grease
- 1 c
- diced country ham or 1 ham hock
- 1 large
- onion, chopped (vidalia or walla walla are best)
- 1 clove
- fresh garlic, finely minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 tsp
- water (enough to cover beans by 1 1/2 inches)
- 1- 1 1/2 qt
- broken green beans
- 2 tsp
- ham flavored soup base/bouillon (optional)
4Quickly add about 2 cups of water to the pot and increase heat to high. (If using ham hock, add now.)
5Add green beans and enough water to cover by at least 1/12 to 2 inches.
6Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low/medium-low, cover and let simmer for 2 hours, checking every 1/2 hour to see if additional water is needed.
7Add 2 teaspoons ham soup base, cover loosely (to allow some evaporation) and simmer 1 to 3 additional hours, occasionally checking liquid level in pot. (Allow liquid level to reduce to just barely covering the beans.)
9NOTE: Small red potatoes may be added during last 1/2 hour of cooking if desired.
10Cover and refrigerate leftovers.